Monday, April 5, 2010

Rachel M


photo from Laineygossip.com

One of a Kind show:
www.oneofakindshow.com/spring10/?m=2&id=270691&c=1

Over the last few days I have been at the One of Kind Show in Toronto for my eco-friendly women and girls line, go go mama. It is an amazing but exhausting show. The hours are crazy long for a trade show (10 am - 9 pm) because it is consumer based. It is day in and day out of hard concrete floors, zero daylight and frenzy.

The show is full of artisans that spend hours alone, often working in a bubble, designing and creating. When you get to the show, you are so invested in your work that the constant stream of feedback from the public and media take you on an intense emotional roller coaster. You can always tell who has had a good day - they are slightly smug.

This particular show was not great. It fell over Easter, Passover and the weather was AMAZING, 25 degrees Celsius, sunny and beautiful. No one came - literally - we took pictures of our aisle completely empty and this is generally an event that people plan for, line up for and come in from out of town for.

Cut to Thursday late afternoon and we are all glumly staring at each other, hating our work, hating the weather, cursing the holidays and most of all wondering what the hell we did by deciding to become "artists" instead of listening to our parents and getting real jobs.

I look over and three people are at my booth. I said "hi" and then I think my eyes popped out of my head. Rachel McAdams was standing there holding up the ruched leggings!!! The girl with her was watching me with a half smile.

All of us had bug eyes while she was there, exchanging, "holy sh--, it's Rachel McAdams" looks. I chatted with her for a bit and after she left my booth to wander up the aisle, you could visibly see the ripple effect she had. We were all so Canadian about it though - everybody left her alone.
She was every inch as beautiful as she is on screen, but she was neither looking for nor expecting to be recognized.


Picture posted is with Anna Wintour - this is a somewhat fashion blog, afterall.

My links:

go go mama:
www.gogomamadesign.com

House of Groves:
www.houseofgrovesdesign.com

My fellow artisans:

All Things Jenuine - Handcrafted cards
http://www.allthingsjenuine.com/

House of Hsueh - Eco-friendly accessories
http://houseofhsueh.com/

Charlene Serdan - Photography
http://www.canvasgallery.ca/images/artists/PHOTOGRAPHY/serdan/serdan.htm

No comments: